To be added to the scientific events notification list, please click here.
Please join the Office of Sponsored Research and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs for an exceptional grant workshop led by Dr. John Robertson on Monday, April 11.
Van Andel Institute Office of Sponsored Research is excited to offer the opportunity for VARI and MSU CHM faculty, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students to attend an interactive grant writing and proposal development workshop on April 11, presented by Dr. John Robertson of Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC (GWSW). This workshop is geared toward proposals developed for submission to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and includes a copy of GWSW’s informative grant writing workbook for each registered attendee.
Please note: Your workbook will be given to you when you sign in at the workshop registration desk.
Registration closes Monday, February 15. Sign up using the link sent via email.
7:30 a.m. Sign-in and continental breakfast
8:15 a.m. Introduction of Dr. John Robertson
8:30 a.m. General grant proposal concepts
– Introduction to the seminar
– Three requirements needed for success in any application
– Grant application contents – similarities of all formats
9:15 a.m. NIH organization and structure
– Understanding funding priorities
– The importance of program officers
– Different funding mechanisms
10:15 a.m. Morning break
10:30 a.m. Preparation of the application
– How to create a compelling specific aims section
12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Approach (work plan)
– Significance and Innovation
– Background and Preliminary Studies
– Biographical Sketches and Environment
2:30 p.m. Afternoon break
2:45 p.m. Budget – general concepts
– Project summary/narrative
– Critical internal review of your proposal
3:15 p.m. The review process
– The concept of peer review
– Common assumptions about peer review
– The importance of identifying your reviewers
– Recommending or excluding reviewers
– Implicit vs. explicit review criteria
– Review and procedures
– Resubmission of scored and triaged applications
* Schedule is approximate depending upon scope and extent of discussion.